Signed in as:
Signed in as:
Why do some hair extensions become dry after the first few washes?
The simple answer is use of chemicals, heat and lack of moisture. We eat food to feed our bodies with nutrients which eventually makes their way through our system to feed our skin and hair. We cannot feed hair extensions in the same way so we need to use alternative methods.
Use organic and sulfate free shampoo's to regularly feed, moisturize and treat your luxury hair extensions. Avoid shampoo and conditioning products which use Sulfates, Isopropyl Alcohol, Formaldehyde and Propylene Glycol. These are strong chemicals which will strip the hair of natural oils and leave them dry and sometimes damaged if used for a prolonged period of time.
Here are some other Hair care Tips:
1. Brush before bed and before washing to ensure there are no natural occurring tangles caused by wind or friction
2. Do not brush wet hair as that is when hair follicles are at their most vulnerable.
3. Use a Sulfate free shampoo. Sulfate strips hair of natural oils, as there is no direct supply of nutrients from your scalp into the extension strands.
4. To avoid damaging your luxury hair extensions, the cuticles and your scalp, only wash with warm water.
5. Wash the hair gently in a downward motion with your palms, do not scrub or bunch the hair together as this will cause open cuticles to rub against each other causing friction.
6. Rinse between each wash, and wash only 1-2 times.
7. While hair is wet, add 2-3 drops of natural oil such as Almond or Coconut by gently applying it evenly over the hair, these oils will penetrate the cuticles and moisturize your hair extensions.
8. Natural oils do the work of most conditioners without the added chemicals and silicone, natural is always best.
9. Finally, lower the shower head and rinse your hair (not scalp) with cold water, this is known as an Arctic Rinse it will close the cuticles to lock the moisture and nutrients from the oil in, leaving you with nutrient rich hair extensions.
10. Let your hair air-dry at home, take 2-3 hours to wash and naturally dry your hair or sit under dryer being sure to dry your braids.
11. Apply a small amount of Almond or Coconut oil 2-3 times a week or when required. Argan oil is a great finishing oil for styling and frizz, however its a dry oil and does not moisturize the hair as well as Almond or Coconut.
12. For long lasting hair extensions, moisturize your hair as you do your skin, it makes perfect sense.